I only started running about 6 years ago. I have always considered myself a non runner. It started on a treadmill in Salt Lake City. I just wanted to see if I could make a mile. It just about killed me, but I did it. Then I kept working on it. Over the years I slowly increased my distance. I started doing 5Ks, 10Ks, half marathons, relay races. I realized I was a runner because I RAN! Last year I did the Hartford Half Marathon and swore that was the end of my long runs.
My running buddy, ANNimal, and I talked about running for charity in the Boston Marathon but quickly talked ourselves out of it. I feel very blessed that we decided not to (see Boston Marathon post). On our Christmas letter I mentioned I was thinking about a marathon this year, never should have done that. 17 weeks ago my running buddies talked about it again and decided we were in. We call ourselves CAAA for Chris, Alison, Amy, and Anne (ANNimal). CAAA, CAAA!
I was overwhelmed to see the 16 week training plan. I decided not worry about the end, I would focus on my current run. I love checking off lists. I found much satisfaction coloring in each run and watching my chart fill in. I had no idea how much time I would be investing in this little plan of mine. Making it to 13 miles in training didn't seem like that big of a deal because I had done it before. Anne and I ran a half on the beautiful coast of Gloucester, MA. I will spare you the nasty details of that day. Lets just say it involved every single port a potty along the way. I was very humbled after that run. My 14 mile run was even worse. Mentally I knew that my body was doing something I had never done before. I let my thoughts wander. I had already done 2 halves, didn't that make a full? At the end of 14 I told Anne I was 90% sure I would not be doing the marathon. She gave me a pep talk and I showed up the next Saturday for the 15 mile run. Somehow each week would build on the last and I could make it further than I had the previous week. I feel so blessed to have such great running friends. Not just CAAA, but all the other friends I had the pleasure of training with. Even people I barely knew were willing to run with me.
Training was HARD! I changed how I ate. I didn't sleep in for MONTHS. I ran when it was hot and humid. I ran when it was cold. I ran when I didn't want to. I ran when it hurt. All of my toes were adorned with some sort of blister. I also learned chafing really hurts when you hop in the shower after a run. Did you know you can even chafe on your neck? I won't tell you about many of the other spots you don't want chafed.
Training was also fun. I cherish the time I spent with my running friends. We laughed, cried, problem solved, vented, and laughed some more. I crack up each time I think of running on Longmeadow Street and seeing a sheet of bubble wrap. Of course Amy and I turned around to go stomp on it. Did you know that you can run and hug at the same time?
I have been reminded many times how important it is to give and show support. I am so thankful for all the times Matt and the kids would come find me on a run to cheer me on. Matt rocks. If it weren't for him I am sure I would have bailed weeks ago. I am so blessed to have such a supportive husband. I can't tell you how much it would cheer me up to see my kids pull up and cheer for me. Ruby was awesome about making signs for me. I am thankful for my friends that would cheer me on. I am so thankful for the people that honked and waved, left water on their porch, or stopped to fill my water bottle as they were driving by. I also learned how important it was to cheer on other runners and be there for them. We are all in this together, we need each other.
The biggest lesson I learned is that I can do hard things. I can't tell you how many people told me they could never run a marathon or even run for that matter. I remember saying that myself. Cooper told me he couldn't clean up all his Legos one day after one of my long runs. I really don't like that word CAN'T. Don't you dare tell me you can't do something when you haven't tried. How often does can't mean won't, or I am not willing to try, or don't care enough to? I am trying to eliminate can't from my vocabulary, it is an excuse.
I realized that whatever you put that much time and effort into you can do. I am excited about this knowledge! What shall I try next? If I put this much time into practicing the piano I could get over my misconception that I can not play the piano. I have never devoted much time to learning how to swim (no more I can't swim), maybe I should try a triathlon? Maybe it is pie crust perfection?
Yes we even ran this day.
Dripping sweat all over the driveway.
Lots of miles on the treadmill.
Ruby named this blister Princess Leia.
Time for a PEDICURE!!
Love Mapmyrun.com!
Neck chaffing? Who knew?
By the time I filled in my little sheet I was so proud of myself, I had successfully trained for a marathon. That, in and of itself seemed HUGE! I started worrying about the race. I had to tell myself that being nervous would not help. I had done my part and would go and do my very best. I would cross that finish line if I had to crawl across it. I was ready!
I tapered, I slept, I ate well, I rested, and I drank water like it was going out of style. I drastically cut my sugar intake (only 2 General Conference Cinnamon rolls!)I had done my best and that was all I could do.
Unfortunately
the night before, I could not sleep. I slept for 1.5 hours. I decided not to worry. I was going to find joy in my journey and smile. I worked hard to be a part of that marathon and I was going to enjoy it. A friend told me that the training was the marathon and that the marathon was the celebration. I did my best to maintain that attitude.
The temperature was a perfect 60 degrees. I had my running pals and Matt to start with. We had a great time running, chatting, and just being giddy that we were running a marathon. The course was beautiful. There is nothing better than fall in New England. The leaves were amazing. We ran along the Connecticut River. We ran down the middle of roads that were shut down just for us. The spectators were awesome. I loved the motivating and funny signs people held up. Spectators blew orange horns and shook orange cow bells. I am amazed how motivating it is to have people cheer for you. When it would get hard I would remind myself to find joy wherever I could. Just smiling would make things better. I kept telling myself I could do it and that all my hard work was paying off. If that didn't work I would look at the beauty of the red, orange, and yellow leaves that sprinkled the ground like confetti celebrating my run. I also found beauty in the geese in V formation flying above me. I looked for distractions: a dead snake, a pumpkin patch, a poor student begging for beer tickets (I gave him mine, running with a Mormon has its benefits).
Then it got hard. I knew my Dad, Sharon and my kids would be between miles 14-20. This was a long stretch of road in which you would run to the end, turn around and run back. My running buddies were ahead of me by this point so it was just me and my music. I couldn't figure out why this long run was so much harder than my training runs had been. I kept reminding myself that yes indeed it was hard and that was not going to stop me. I would then remember to smile, pray and look for the good. It would always help. I stopped at every water station for a few steps and then would pick up running again. At mile 16 I saw my very own cheerleaders: Matt, my dad, Sharon, Ruby, Cooper, and Rocky. They held up signs and cheered for me. I cried from the overwhelming feeling of support I felt. Through my tears I looked at Matt and said, "THIS IS HARD!". My dad had tears in his eyes and told me the car was just around the corner. Matt was on his way back from the turnaround already. I continued running and saw my buddies coming the other way. When we saw each other we would flap our wings and yell CAAA!!! My cheerleaders were there for me as I came back around near mile 18. Rocky and Coop ran a short distance with me. I sucked down my favorite Mint Chocolate Gu that my friend Alison had given me for good luck. For the record, I never want another Gu.
I kept going. Then it got what Rocky calls "Duper" hard (much more intense than super hard). I had ran the entire thing except for the water stops for over 18 miles. I was absolutely exhausted. Luckily I didn't realize that my lack of sleep was causing some serious problems. In my training I ran up to 20 miles. When I got to that point, I realized this was all new territory. I wanted to quit. I couldn't imagine running 6.2 more miles. Again I reminded myself to smile and look for the good. It was hard, but I was making great progress. By this point the inside of my arm was chafing like a banshee. I spotted an angel with first aid supplies. She gave me what I thought was Vaseline for my raw arms. Pretty sure the lotion was straight alcohol. YIKES. I ran a good distance trying not to scream in pain. As I looked around I realized that every runner looked as if they were feeling the same things I was. I got to the point where I would have to walk a bit until my legs cramped up so bad I had to run. There was a kind man who was my same pace. We started chatting to distract ourselves. We pushed each other when we wanted to quit and cheered for each other when we needed it. I felt so accomplished each time I would pass a mile marker. 21,22,23,24... When we saw 26 I can't even describe my emotions: pride, joy, impending death to name a few. Looking at the exhausted runners on the empty road limping, waddling, enduring it reminded me of a zombie apocalypse. I heard some yelling CHRIS RICH YOU GOT THIS! The finish is just around the corner. My darling friend Stephanie was cheering me on. I looked up, bent over, and dry heaved right in the middle of the intersection. I lifted my head and kept running. Then I saw it, I just had to run through the iconic Soldiers and Sailors Arch I had dreamed of and cross the finish line. Normally at this point in a race I give it all I have and sprint to the finish. My get up and go was gone. My goal was just to smile as I crossed, didn't happen. I stepped over the line, immediately turned to the left and puked my empty guts out. Matt was there with a paramedic who had come to my aid.
Matt rocks, he documented my big finish. What other husband would document a puke spot?
Once the puking stopped, the tears came. I cried from pride but mostly out of exhaustion. I cried because there were people there who believed in me and knew I would make it to the finish line. When I got my medal, I cried again. I was in severe pain, shock, and I was freezing. After a few minutes I got my smile on. Walking to the car seemed like an additional marathon in slow motion.
Here is what 26.2 miles looks like on a map..
When I hopped in the shower, ok I didn't really hop, I was reminded of this spots on my arm (excuse the hairy armpits). I can't describe the pain associated with the hot water hitting these spots. I definitely earned that shower.
I am so proud of myself for reaching this goal. I love knowing that this is just the beginning of new things to come. It was awesome doing this with my husband. It is great to have a united goal.
I was surprised how good I felt over the next few days. Pretty sure this was my first and last marathon. I will get back to you on that. For now my friends...I DID IT! YAHOO!
5 comments:
I am totally crying right now Chris Rich!! You are a rock star!! I ran my first 5K last month. This doesn't even come close to what you did but I gained an understanding of how much it is a mental exercise, not just physical. The physical feat you accomplished is remarkable but the mental/emotional/spiritual is the real accomplishment I think. You did something you never thought you could do. I am super proud of you and am inspired to be more like you!
I totally have tears in my eyes right now!! So inspiring. You are such an incredible, wonderful person!! I have felt a little overwhelmed today and this was the best possible thing to help me. I can improve and be better, I can do hard things!! Thank you for the nitty gritty details. Even the puke spot. :)
This made me teary too! YOU AMAZE ME.
You really can do hard things, we call can...we just need to keep smiling and focus on the beauty around us.
I love this post!
You did it. I love this! I should have sent you my favorite pair of running socks!
Chris,
Thank you for sharing and congratulations on such a great accomplishment and inspiring story. Living proof you can accomplish anything you put your mind to. Great job.
Post a Comment