Sunday, June 5, 2011

Springfield Tornado

Wednesday I checked the weather app on my phone and it said there were 7 severe weather alerts. I was pretty much glued to the Doppler maps for a couple hours. It was cloudy with a slight breeze where we live. Minutes away, an F4 tornado ripped though Springfield, MA. I have been horrified to watch the news reports. Our church had trees knocked down, no building damage. Driving home from church we witnessed the devastation. I had my camera ready for a cool blog post. I never got my camera out, I couldn't take pictures of peoples ruined lives. I am feeling very blessed that we were not hit. My heart breaks for those that lost everything.

In Indiana the tornado sirens went off all the time. It was pretty expected because tornadoes are common in the Midwest. We never had any touch down very close to us while we were there. Unfortunately they were hit last week.

My first tornado was in Salt Lake City, where tornadoes never happen. I was teaching in a portable classroom. The tornado literally started on our playground. It was one of the scariest experiences of my life. I was traumatized for months by it.

My neighbors are wondering if we are bad luck! I hope I am not some sort of tornado magnet.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

glad you are ok...but that would be very scary to be close to all that damage. very sad to see pics on the news--take care :)

Mo-Reen said...

I was thinking that was near you and I am glad you are all OK. The tornadoes are terrible this year!

Erin said...

scary. So glad you are all ok. But it must be hard to watch others go through it.