Friday, February 11, 2011

The first leg of the incredible journey





We got all of our stuff packed in the ABF trailer on Tuesday. We have the greatest family, with their help it was done in 2 hours! I can't even begin to tell you how cold and windy it was. Very different from the hottest most humid day we unpacked our trailer in Bloomington (thanks Searle family!!!)
Matt took off in the little blue Saturn around 5. At 10:30 I called to find out how he was doing. "I don't want to tell you this, but..." was how the conversation started. He was 25 miles out of Rawlins, WY aka the middle of nowhere and was having car trouble. The engine was running but the car wasn't. He pulled over and tried to figure out what was going on. He ended up calling a tow truck after about 45 minutes of waiting in the cold. I checked the weather to see just how bad it was, this was the severe weather alert:
...WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 AM MST THIS MORNING...
A WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 AM MST THIS MORNING.
* WIND CHILL VALUES...VALUES OF 25 TO TO 35 BELOW ZERO WILL CONTINUE THROUGH
THIS MORNING. * IMPACTS...BITTERLY COLD WIND CHILLS WILL CREATE DANGEROUS
CONDITIONS FOR THOSE WHO MUST VENTURE OUTDOORS...AND ANY LIVESTOCK IN AN
UNSHELTERED AREA EXPOSED TO THE EXTREME COLD. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS
ACTIONS... THE WIND CHILL IS THE TEMPERATURE YOUR BODY FEELS WHEN THE AIR
TEMPERATURE IS COMBINED WITH THE WIND SPEED. WITH WIND CHILLS BELOW MINUS 30
DEGREES...FROSTBITE CAN OCCUR IN AS LITTLE AS 5 TO 10 MINUTES. THE MOST SUSCEPTIBLE
PARTS OF THE BODY ARE THE EXTREMETIES SUCH AS FINGERS...TOES...EAR LOBES...
OR THE TIP OF THE NOSE.

Little scary! This was a warning for 500 pound cows, what about my cold little
husband! By the time the tow truck got there he had been sitting in the car for
90 minutes! He went into a mechanic and they said it was the fuel pump filter.
They had to call one in which ended up taking 36 HOURS!!!

Things are good now, he keeps texting me pictures when he crosses into a new state.
The last one I got was Illinios. He will be going through Indiana next, that kind
of pulls on my heart strings!

2 comments:

Loni said...

Just reading that post made me cold!! Hope Matt's journey is safe and warm! Bittersweet to see you guys go but I'm thrilled for what lies a head. Thanks for being a good blogger so we can all stay involved in your life :) Sure Do Love You!

Laura said...

Soooo glad to hear he made it okay and that he didn't have to buy a new car along the way. Hopefully you can get there soon! Have fun packing - I'd come and help if I could. :-)