Living in New England I am surrounded by vast quantities of
trees. They are everywhere I look;
millions of them. I am fascinated by the
beautiful changes the leaves go through as the seasons push them along in their
yearly cycle. After last years brutal
winter with snow covered trees (and everything else), I was rejuvenated with
the beautiful spring blossoms. Blooms of
every color adorned the trees; majestic fuchsia, pale pink, clean white, vivid
orange and sunshiny yellow. Then the
blossoms dropped and my entire world turned every shade of green you can
imagine; green everywhere you looked.
The trees are so dense you cannot see trough the thick forests. July 4th can be tricky, you have
to be in the perfect spot or you will not see the fire works hidden by the
leafy treetops. The dense trees provide
much needed shade from the sun and homes to all the critters that scamper
about. Sometimes I forget to look up
just because there are so many leaves.
Then the temperatures dropped and the leaves transformed into some of
the most amazing hues I have ever experienced.
The New England leaves truly are an experience. Joy would fill my soul, as I would drive down
the road in a tunnel of crimson, gold, chocolate, and fire. There were times I felt it was dangerous to
drive because the breathtaking leaves were so distracting. I lived in a vibrant oil painting. As the leaves started to change I started to
feel anxiety that fall was here and soon the leaves would drop and the trees
would be naked, ugly, bare. The world becomes
drab barcodes of grey stripes wherever you look. With the shorter days and the lack of color,
it can be depressing and dreary. I don’t
want to feel that way so I have chosen to look for the good. As I have walked around and really looked at
my surroundings I have discovered much beauty and many parallels to life. When the trees are stripped of their leaves
it is an opportunity to see things in a different perspective. The bare trees allow me to see what the land
looks like; beautiful dingles, bubbling brooks, hidden landscapes. I observed the shapes of the individual
trees. Each tree looks so different from
the others, the branches are skeletons; some short and stout others tall and
thin. Some trees have beautiful knots and
others have rough bark. Some have been
damaged with branches hanging by a tread until the next storm comes. Some trees have been hiding beautiful
berries, bird nests, papery wasps nests or a stray Frisbee. The bare trees allow me to feel the sun shine
and see the beauty of the azure sky or a fiery sunset. The branches guide my eyes to look up and see
the full height of the tree. You see the
trees as they really are, what they have been through, and remember what will
happen to them after the impending harsh winter. They will bloom again! 100% chance that spring will come
again…guaranteed! Such is life. We have bare times that seem dark, drab and
discouraging. I know in the autumns of
my life I have been able to see things differently. If I chose to seek beauty in the situation I
could always find it. Every time I am in
one of these times of life the Son shines and heals my soul. I learn what I am
truly made of. There is also that same
knowledge that there is a 100% chance that spring will come again. Things always get better.
1 comment:
I love this! Thanks for writing down your thoughts and sharing them with the world.
Post a Comment