Wednesday, February 3, 2016

January 2016

It is hard to believe that my mom has been gone for 17 years.  That is way to long to go with out a hug or see my moms beautiful smile.  When we were preparing my mom for burial, I made sure she had her favorite green heart earrings on that my dad had given her.  On our last trip to Utah my dad gave Ruby a jewelry box of my moms.  In it was the necklace that goes with those earrings.  On Jan. 5 (the anniversary of moms death) Ruby wore this necklace to school.  I don't know if she had any idea how much this would mean to me.  At the end of the day, she emptied the jewelry box on her bed and I shared the memories that I had of those pieces.  It truly was a magical moment.  I love the way Ruby Marilyn has a deep connection with her namesake. 



My 42 birthday was awesome.  I am so blessed to be surrounded with wonderful people.  I appreciate all the calls, texts, social media messages, etc.  I made myself an orange cake, tamales, oven roasted salsa, guacamole.  I love to cook and I would rather do it myself than pay to have someone make it for me.

My beautiful young women had a surprise party for me and my counselor who had a birthday.  Jessy made this darling cake.
Ruby made me The Rich family in peg dolls.  I love all the detail she used to show who we were.  This girl is so thoughtful.  I don't know what I did to get these amazing children. 



This ski season we bought 5 ski passes, 5 rental equipment packages, helmets, and my bigs joined their middle school program.  I joked because we had invested so much money that it wouldn't snow.  No joke, you can thank the Rich family for this unusually mild winter.  To date I think we have had a combined total of 3 inches since October.  Luckily our resort is pretty good about making snow.  As you can see from the pictures, there is no snow except for the runs. None!  Coming from Utah I have learned I am a snow snob.  For years I have said if I can't ski in Utah I don't want to ski.  I would joke about how our resorts were "cute" here.  This year as I skied with my family on our 5 inch 100% man made base (compared to Snowbirds 90 inch base), I realized it doesn't matter if you are skiing at 13000 feet or 1000 feet skiing is skiing!  I stared at my family as all 4 of them were on the quad lift in front of me and realized just how happy I was to be at this "cute" resort.  Life is like that sometimes.  We wish for something better so we prevent ourselves from enjoying the good that we are surrounded with.  In the 3 weeks that the resort has been open we have gone 6 times!  We are going to milk these passes for all they are worth!  I guess that is what you have to do with life as well. 



















Matt and I are coaching Ruby's basketball team.  He coaches, I send emails and Ruby plays.  I love watching Matt coach.  He is so kind and positive with the girls.  I am so lucky to have him!




 Bagel making!
 Our tub leaks through the ceiling.  So happy to be a renter right now! 
 We have gone Nerf crazy.  I have learned the joy of pelting my offspring and that it is even more fun to pet my spouse!
Happy winter with no actual snow.

No comments: