Friday, November 21, 2008

11/21/87

November 21 always makes me stop and think. 21 years ago today, my brother Mike shot himself. It is crazy to think that I haven't got to hang out with him for that long! Mike is one of my heroes. He was amazing, one of those people that everyone loved to be around. He had the greatest costumes and was oh so handsome. He was hilarious and always up to something with a sparkle in his eye.
  • Our gas gauge in our 79 Camero didn't work so we had to record the milage so we didn't run out of gas. In the little notebook he wrote, "I hope you enjoy your ride in the car, but if you don't get gas you won't go far!"
  • Another time one of my brothers had brought home the gerbils from school to take care of over the weekend. Apparently one of them ate the other. Mike walked out with the carcass on a Ritz cracker and said, "Everything is better on a Ritz!"
  • My mom was really frustrated one day and told Mike that he needed his support. A few minutes later he handed her his jock strap, you know, an athletic support!
It is so weird that he has been gone longer than I was able to hang out with him here. I miss him incredibly and love to tell my kids how awesome Uncle Mike was. Mike and Matt both did graphic design. They both have a ton in common.

I am so thankful to KNOW that Mike is just fine and that one day I will see him again. I love knowing that my family is ETERNAL.

LOVE YOU MIKE :)

3 comments:

Jedda said...

Chris Rich you inspire me! Thank you for sharing your beautiful memories and loving perspective.

Lisa said...

oh mooner p, I remember that day also and can't believe that it has been that long. What an amazing tirbute you wrote to Mike, you are a strong gal and I love ya for that...

miche said...

Chrispy,
Why is it that we've been friends for 14 years and I've never heard you talk about Mike? Or did you and I missed it? I feel like a terrible and uninformed friend that I missed something that is clearly such a big part of who you are. Wow, thanks for the beautiful post.