Getting to Utah was memorable to say the least. Cooper got motion sick, we had to change planes due to mechanical problems, had to deice, and got stuck in Denver for 3 hours. Needless to say we were very happy to make it to Utah!
My dad won a car building competition with this model as a young boy.
The Peterson Curve.
It felt good to be back in my stomping grounds. I love walking through my house that I grew up in and finding forgotten treasures. Memories flood through me: love, laughter, safety, faith, trials and tears. I found this gem from my mom. She made it very clear that she loved me and was proud of me. All the good things in me are from my wonderful parents.
obligatory stop at Crown Burger for fry sauce.
The Salt Lake Marathon went right past the house we were staying at. So fun to cheer from the trees and see our favorite runner in his 7th marathon. I was reminded as Matt stopped to take a family picture with us of the miracle of the family picture during the Boston Marathon in 2013.
My last blog post was about angels. Here is one of them, Grandma Retta. I have known Retta since I was 5. Her son introduced Matt and I to each other. She has taken me and my kids under her wing and loved us like we were her own. Retta has a heart as big as Texas and can make me laugh like no other. We are so blessed to have her in our lives. She has a cool mailbox in the center of her door that my kids love to call out to her through. We love when she screams in delight as a response.
Morrissa, my mother in law, is another one of my earthly angels. This woman is chock full of goodness. She has so many gifts that she is constantly sharing with others. She knows how to love people unconditionally and to make them feel like a million bucks. She shares her rock solid testimony of her Savior by the way she lives her life. I couldn't have hand picked a better Mother in Law. I adore her. Her spudnuts are celestial.
More angels. I loved having 4 brothers and being the only girl. My brothers are incredible people who I have always looked up to. One of the many benefits to brothers is that they bring sisters to the family. Love, love, love these people.
We rented a sweet Durango and drove it to Southern Utah. Utah is huge, I didn't realize that until I moved to Massachusetts.
First stop: Capital Reef. We hiked to Hickman Bridge and to the natural water tanks in Capital Gorge. As we hiked we followed the CAIRNS. I wrote an entire sacrament talk about them in my mind as we hiked: the cairns are the commandments given to us by a loving Heavenly Father who wants us to safely get home to him. Stay on the path. Don't follow others unless they are following the cairns. Don't come up with your own better way, you will realize that even though it may be faster or more exciting there is always a reason behind where they were placed. I could go on and on.
Little Wild Horse Canyon
As I was walking behind these wonderful people of mine, I realized I am living my dream. I have always wanted to be a mom. As I watched how much fun they were having and how they enjoyed being together (because sometimes they don't) I was hit with how blessed I am. Even on my hardest day as a mom, I am doing exactly what I want to be doing. What a huge blessing!
Goblin Valley
Camping in Natural Bridges. Cooper passed off all sorts of scout requirements with setting up a tent, building a fire, hiking, etc. It was so dark we had an incredible view of the stars.
This is what happens when you take a selfie when it is so dark you can't even see your hand in front of your face.
Ruby turned 13 in Natural Bridges. She had pie for breakfast. I love seeing the plants that grow under the most unfriendly of conditions. It is a good reminder to me to bloom where I am planted.
I don't know where my kids get their crazy from...So happy to finally be in the sunshine!!!
Ruby's birthday celebration
Hanging out with my pardners in Moab.
Delicate Arch
Firey Furnace
Landscape Arch
Mesa Arch, Canyonlands
Dead Horse Point
Feeling super skilled making PB&J while en route.
Happy Birthday Guncle
Alta, UT
Playing hard
One of the main reasons for our trip was to celebrate the 50th anniversary of my in laws. The day was magical.It started off with a family picture. Can't wait to see how they turned out. We had an hour long waltz lesson and the entire Rich family danced together. I am so bummed I don't have more picture of this day.
We ate at Cafe Madrid and made beautiful memories.
Ed surprised Morrissa with a beautiful wedding cake. I love the way these 2 treat each other. They are so in love and it shows in all they do and say. I am so thankful for their example of finding happiness through following Jesus Christ.
Watching reel to reel family movies. A true highlight of the day. The Riches are a beautiful variety of people. Each person is very unique and full of goodness. I am so blessed to be a part of this clan. It felt so good to sit and laugh together.
No comments:
Post a Comment